This project is the part of IBM Data Science Professional Certification- Applied Data Science Capstone.
New York City's demographics show that it is a large and ethnically diverse
metropolis. It is the largest city in the United States with a long history of international immigration. New York City has been a major point of entry for immigrants; the term "melting pot" was coined to describe densely populated immigrant neighborhoods on the Lower East Side. As many as 800 languages are spoken in New York, making it the most linguistically diverse city in the world. English remains the most widely spoken language, although there are areas in the outer boroughs in which up to 25% of people speak English as an alternate language, and/or have limited or no English language fluency. English is least spoken in neighborhoods such as Flushing, Sunset Park, and Corona.
With it's diverse culture, comes diverse food items. There are many restaurants in New York City, each belonging to different categories like Chinese, Indian, French, etc.
So the objective of this project is to list and visualize all major parts of New York City that have great Indian restaurants.
New York City data that contains list Boroughs, Neighborhoods along with their latitude and longitude.
Data source : https://cocl.us/new_york_dataset
Description : This data set contains the required information. And we will use this data set to explore various neighborhoods of new york city.
Indian restaurants in each neighborhood of new york city.
Data source : Foursquare API
Description : By using this api we will get all the venues in each neighborhood. We can filter these venues to get only Indian restaurants.
Data source : https://data.cityofnewyork.us/City-Government/Borough-Boundaries/tqmj-j8zm
Description : By using this geospace data we will get the New York Borough boundaries that will help us visualize the choropleth map.
- Collect the new york city data from https://cocl.us/new_york_dataset
- Using FourSquare API we will find all venues for each neighborhood.
- Filter out all venues that are Indian Resturants.
- Find rating, tips and like count for each Indian Resturants using FourSquare API.
- Using the rating for each restaurant, we will sort that data.
- Visualize the Ranking of neighborhoods using folium library(python)
The results are carried out to give the answer of the following questions:
What is the best location in New York City for Indian Cuisine?
Which areas have a potential Indian Resturant Market?
Which are some of the best neighborhoods for Indian cuisine?
Which is the best place to stay if you prefer Indian Cuisine?
Analysis is done with required python libraries
- pandas and numpy for handling data.
- request module for using FourSquare API.
- geopy to get co-ordinates of the City of New York.
- folium to visualize the results on a map
To see the results and analysis following Github link is provided
1. Brooklyn has the largest number of Indian Resturants.
2. The Prospect Park South in Brooklyn has the highest number of restaurants i.e 3.
3. Bay Ridge (Brooklyn), Central Harlem (Manhatten), Clinton Hill (Brooklyn) are some of the best neighborhoods for Indian cuisine.
4. Manhattan and Brooklyn are the best places to stay if you prefer Indian Cuisine. Though Manhattan ranks first and Brooklyn ranks second in ranking ; the difference in their average rating is minimal i.e Manahtten is 7.83 and Brooklyn is 7.82.
In addition the link for the report is also provided:
I hope you enjoyed this post. The post is helpful to solve data science problems using Foursquare location data. Good Luck!